Monday, July 12, 2010

MONEY...

MONEY...
What a powerful substance. It is mind blowing how much control a substance that has no pulse, no feeling, no intelligence, no common sense, no remorse, and no guilt can drive people whom have a pulse, feelings, intelligence, common sense, remorse, and guilt to take extreme action to have it. We will hurt even kill for it, and yet it is a material item that can’t perform, influence or teach you right from wrong but we respect it more then we respect each other, we respect it more than we do the things that matter. A common question I ask myself frequently “what is my purpose?” I sometimes would come up with an answer but the answer was always something I wasn’t for sure about, nothing I can really explain I just wasn’t 100% sure that it was what I truly want. In the last year I have come across and answer more than once and I chose to put that option aside because I felt like it was almost impossible to achieve. But every time I try and avoid that answer I find myself stumbling upon it and each time I do I am more sure it’s what I want. If there is anything that is consistent in doing its job it’s the news. Have you ever sat still and allowed your mind to wonder? Have you ever sat still and thought about the world we live in, the people in the world and what makes you different? You might be surprised with the answers that pop in your head. This is something I do a lot and unfortunately I am not happy with my answers, I think about situations such as the seal slaughter, cruelty to animals, situations where they are being skinned and even worse they are skinned alive, let’s not forget the lovely oil spill, the G20 summit and how the people were not only inappropriate but just out right wrong in the sense that we can hurt each other so easily, forgetting that the people held accountable for things leading to what they did are people we have chosen and trust to LEAD US AS A SOCIETY. And also how during the chaos of the G20 a lot of the reporters would make comments such as “this behaviour is not the Canadian way”, I think about being at work sometimes and witnessing people get angry about having to wait a few more minutes to be helped, or getting mad at someone making a mistake. I think about people thinking they should be treated better or different then someone else because of what they do for a living. I think about how people worry about money and the difference it can make in their lives and not about themselves and the difference they can make in someone else’s life. With thinking about these few things on a regular my goal is to want to change it, I want people to care, but when you live in a world where value is about power, money and personally benefiting how do you compete with that? How do you get that larger percentage of people who don’t care to realize that if they did care the world would be a much more fulfilling place? How do you get people to realize that the people (called our government) are only in power because we give them the value to be classified in a position of power? How do you get people to understand that if there wasn’t citizenship, money, and racism we would actually realized that we all breath the same air, need to eat the same food and survive the same way, we would see that we are all equal? This proves that we put more value into money then we do each other. When I read this out load it sounds like a very crazy task...but if I focus on it as much as I do it’s got to be worth giving a shot, don’t you think?
Shanna Armogan

No comments:

Post a Comment